Dental fillings are an essential solution to restore teeth that have been damaged by decay. However, like most dental restorations, they don’t last forever. Over time, a filling might loosen or fall out, often without you realizing it immediately. Dr. Mitzi Morris, with her extensive experience in restorative dentistry in Roswell, offers insights on how to identify a lost filling and the steps you should take if it happens.
Signs You’ve Lost a Dental Filling
Our Roswell dental team wants to see you if you experience the following:
- Increased Tooth Sensitivity: If a tooth that previously had a filling suddenly becomes sensitive to hot, cold, or sweet foods and drinks, it might be a sign that the filling has fallen out.
- A Hole or Gap in Your Tooth: You might feel a hole or indentation where the filling used to be, especially when you run your tongue over the tooth.
- Sharp Tooth Edges: A missing filling can leave jagged or sharp edges on a tooth that you can feel with your tongue.
- Pain or Discomfort: A tooth with a lost filling can be painful, especially when biting down.
- Noticeable Piece of Filling: Sometimes, you might actually find a piece of the filling in your mouth, especially after eating.
What to Do If You Suspect You’ve Lost a Filling
- Don’t Panic: While it’s crucial to address a lost filling soon, don’t panic. In most cases, it’s not a dental emergency unless you’re in severe pain.
- Keep Your Mouth Clean: Ensure you’re regularly brushing and flossing, paying special attention to the affected tooth to prevent food particles from getting trapped.
- Avoid Certain Foods: Stay away from very hot, cold, or sugary foods that could exacerbate sensitivity or pain.
- Use Over-the-Counter Solutions: There are temporary dental filling materials available at drugstores. These can be used to cover the gap until you see your dentist.
- Schedule a Dental Appointment ASAP: It’s crucial to visit your dentist as soon as you can to have the filling replaced. The longer the tooth remains exposed, the higher the risk of further damage or decay.
Prevention is Better Than Cure
Regular dental check-ups are vital in ensuring that your fillings are in good condition. Dr. Mitzi Morris recommends bi-annual visits to the dentist to catch and address potential issues early. If it’s been a while since your last dental examination, or if you suspect a filling might be loose or missing, don’t wait for the problem to escalate.
Trusted Emergency Dental Care in Roswell
At Dr. Mitzi Morris’s practice, we prioritize your oral health. If you believe you’ve lost a filling or have any other dental concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out. Our experienced team offers urgent dental care to help restore your smile to its optimal health and function in a timely manner.