Many adults are surprised to find that their once perfectly-aligned teeth from their teenage years have begun to shift. Teeth shifting in adulthood is a common occurrence, but understanding the reasons can help in addressing the problem effectively.
The Natural Causes Behind Teeth Shifting
- Aging and Natural Wear: As we age, the enamel on our teeth begins to wear down, leading to a natural shifting of teeth. The lower front teeth are especially prone to this because they receive more pressure from biting and chewing.
- Gum Disease: Also known as periodontal disease, this is an infection of the gums and tissues holding the teeth in place. When these tissues are damaged, teeth can become loose and may start to shift.
- Tooth Loss: Losing a tooth, whether due to an accident, decay, or any other reason, can cause neighboring teeth to shift towards the empty space. This can affect the alignment of your entire mouth over time.
- Grinding or Clenching: Chronic teeth grinding, known as bruxism, can exert excessive force on the teeth, causing them to shift over time. Similarly, clenching your teeth regularly can also lead to misalignment.
- Past Orthodontic Treatments: If you had braces or any orthodontic treatment as a teenager and didn’t wear a retainer as recommended, there’s a possibility that your teeth have shifted back to their original positions or moved even more.
Invisalign for Adults: A Solution to Shifting Teeth
If you’ve noticed your teeth shifting, you might be wondering if it’s too late to correct the alignment. The good news is, it’s never too late! Invisalign for adults has become an increasingly popular solution for this very reason.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a modern orthodontic treatment that uses clear aligners, tailor-made for each patient, to gradually shift the teeth into the desired position. Unlike traditional braces, Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible, making them an excellent choice for adults who want to maintain a professional appearance.
Benefits of Invisalign:
- Aesthetically Pleasing: As the aligners are clear, they’re not easily noticeable, allowing you to correct your teeth alignment discreetly.
- Comfort: There are no metal brackets or wires, meaning less irritation to your gums and cheeks.
- Flexibility: You can remove the aligners while eating, brushing, or during special occasions.
- Effective: Many adults have achieved their desired results with Invisalign in a comparable timeframe to traditional braces.
Regain Your Straight Smile With Invisalign
While teeth shifting in adulthood can be a cause for concern, modern dentistry provides effective solutions to address this issue. If you’ve noticed a change in your teeth alignment or are interested in learning more about Invisalign for adults, Dr. Mitzi Morris and her team in Roswell are here to assist. Schedule a consultation to discuss the best options for your dental needs and regain that confident, radiant smile!