Are you bothered by “black triangles” between your teeth? These are spaces at the base of the teeth where the gums have receded and exposed the triangular-shaped roots of the teeth. Black triangles often plague the lower front teeth. They can not only be unsightly, but also a place that easily traps food and accumulates plaque. The question is – what can you do about these black triangles?
A skilled dentist can fix your black triangles. There are a variety of treatments or procedures that can be used, depending on the cause of your black triangles, your budget and your overall goals. Determining the cause of your black triangles is the first place to start.
There are several reasons why the gums have receded or do not fill all the way in between the teeth, including but not limited to the following:
- Gum disease
- Bone loss
- Thin gums
- Shape of the teeth
- Natural aging process
In addition, some patients find that they have black triangles when their braces come off. If they had overlapping or very crowded teeth before orthodontics, they may find that the black triangles between their teeth are now visible when their teeth are aligned.
Fixing Black Triangles
Depending on what led to your unsightly black triangles, the following treatments may be an option:
- Braces– if the spaces are small, the teeth can be slightly thinned and polished and then moved closer together using orthodontics.
- Veneers– some patients find correction using porcelain veneers on the affected teeth. These are customized thin shells that are placed on the front surface of the teeth.
- Bonding– many times, the fix can be a simple as dental bonding in which the base of the tooth is thickened with composite, tooth-colored resin to fill in the gaps.
- Gum surgery– in more severe cases of gum recession, the gums can be re-contoured or built back up using a gum graft or other form of gum surgery.
- Dermal fillers– some dentists can even provide an effective yet more temporary solution using dermal fillers to plump the gum tissues and close the triangle spaces.
At Mitzi Morris, DMD, we pride ourselves on our ability to utilize a wide range of cosmetic dental procedures to improve your smile appearance. By fixing your black triangles, we can create a more confident and healthier smile!